Thursday, March 6, 2014

SOLC 2014 Day 6: Books, books, books!

Is there such a thing as too many books?

My husband might say so, as yet another Amazon box arrived at our doorstep today.  This one contained Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell (yes, I'm a bit behind the times in reading that one), Celtic Daily Prayer by The Northumbria Community (I'm a sucker for anything that mixes Celtic tradition and spirituality), and a meditation CD.

They'll move to the top of the Mount Everest of a to-read pile that I have at home.  There's got to be a few opportunities for falling into a book coma over spring break!

Things were not that much different at school over the past three days, as several Amazon and educational vendor boxes were delivered to the library.  Reward books for my students who read the entire 2013-2014 Bluebonnet Nominee list; books for classroom Project Based Learning(PBL) units; books to fill out our depleted birthday book selection; books purchased by the PTA for curricular use.  The office staff member making the deliveries asked if the orders were coming to an end; I sheepishly had to admit that no, we were still expecting some books on bats for yet another PBL project.

I wish that I could say that a lot of those books are also on my to-read pile.  But for right now, I'll have to be content with them lying in the to-be-cataloged-quickly pile.  Summer's not that far away...and this new librarian has her own key to the school library.  {{insert gleeful smile here!}} 

6 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness what a happy,happy, happy post! Sounds like you work in a great school. Enjoyed the ending "Summer's not that far away...and this new librarian has her own key to the school library. {{insert gleeful smile here!}} "

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am blessed to work in a fabulous library with an ever-growing collection...and a school full of readers!

      Delete
  2. How exciting it is to have something to look forward, right? That's how I feel about my TBR pile of books. I'll get to them eventually...maybe in the summer like you said...but it's just so rewarding to know great books are waiting for you to devour them. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In The Book Whisperer, Donalyn Miller mentions that one of the traits of a strong reader is having a TBR pile. No problems with that one for both of us!

      Delete
  3. If I worked in a library, my TBR pile wouldn't be bad. However, my got-to-return-to-the-library pile would be enormous on a daily basis. It scares me to even think of the possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is mind-boggling, the number of good books to be read; hard to keep up with the students sometimes!

      Delete